Policies

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Audiobook Review: Dream Student

Dream Student: Dreams, Book 1
Author: J.J. DiBendetto
Narrator: Heather Jane Hogan
Unabridged, 11 hrs & 33 min
 Publisher: James J. DiBendetto  7/17/13

Publishers Summary:

What would you do if you could see other people's dreams? If you could watch their hidden fantasies and uncover their deepest, darkest secrets without them ever knowing?
Sara Barnes is about to find out. She thought that all she had to worry about was final exams, Christmas shopping and deciding whether she likes the cute freshman in the next dorm who's got a crush on her.  But when she starts seeing dreams that aren't hers, she learns more than she ever wanted to know about her friends, her classmates…and a strange, terrifying man whose dreams could get Sara killed. 

Dream Student is the thrilling first installment of the Dreams Series.
©2013 James DiBenedetto (P)2013 James DiBenedetto   

My Thoughts:
The idea of seeing other people's dreams got me interested in hearing the audio version of Dream Student.  It's an intriguing concept, seeing into other people's minds by way of their dreams. I loved how Sara met Brian, the young man she fell in love with through meeting him in her dreams and seeing him in his.  Not all her dreams are that pleasant.  Someone is murdering young women, and Sara is terrified when she sees the killer's dreams.  I enjoyed this peek into college life from the prospect of a young girl.  She was experiencing college during the same time period I did - late 1989 through 1990.  I was a commuting adult student working my way through college and always wondering how it was for the young people who got to live on campus. 

 I was a little confused at first.  The story was told in Sara's voice but when the dreams happened I was ejected out of her head and the omniscient voice relayed the dream.  Dreams are probably like that but I wouldn't know.  I don't remember mine.  I sort of wished she would just stay in her head and tell me she was in the dream.  But that's just me.  Once I got over my initial confusion I really enjoyed Dream Student.  The voice of the narrator sounded pleasant and appropriate for the age group.  However, she read at such a slow pace I felt that if I had to listen that slowly I wouldn't  be able to enjoy the story.  I did something I rarely do - I sped up the pace to 1.2x and enjoyed it a bit faster than the 11 hrs & 33 mins. 

Usually I recommend the audio version but in this case I think the print version would be just as enjoyable.  However, I look forward to more in the Dream series in audio format. I give it 4 stars for story and narration.  

Review copy provided by James J. DiBendetto, author and publisher


No comments:

Post a Comment